You are here
Richard Chadwick, Ph.D.
Dr. Chadwick received B.S. and M.S. degrees from Cornell University. He received his Ph.D. from Stanford University in 1971, where he studied light scattering phenomena in blood. Dr. Chadwick joined the engineering faculty at the Technion Israel Institute of Technology in 1971, where he began his studies on cochlear mechanics. He moved to UCLA as an assistant professor in 1975, where he continued this work with Julian Cole. Dr. Chadwick joined the Bioengineering and Instrumentation Branch at NIH in 1980, where he began research in cardiovascular dynamics, and then moved to the NIDCD as a Senior Investigator in 1996. He is an elected fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering. Dr. Chadwick's laboratory studies cochlear and cellular mechanics.
- Logue JS, Cartagena-Rivera AX, Baird MA, Davidson MW, Chadwick RS, Waterman CM. Erk regulation of actin capping and bundling by Eps8 promotes cortex tension and leader bleb-based migration. eLife 4, e08314, 2015.
- Manoussaki D, Shin WD, Waterman CM, Chadwick RS. Cytosolic pressure provides a propulsive force comparable to actin polymerization during lamellipod protrusion. Sci. Rep. 5, 12314, 2015.
- Lamb JS, Chadwick RS. Phase of shear vibrations within cochlear partition leads to activation of the cochlear amplifier. PLoS One 14;9(2):e85969, 2014.
- Gavara N, Chadwick RS. Determination of the elastic moduli of thin samples and adherent cells using conical atomic force microscope tips. Nature Nanotechnology 7, 733-736, 2012.
- Petrie RJ, Gavara N, Chadwick RS, Yamada KM. Nonpolarized signaling reveals two distinct modes of 3D cell migration. J Cell Biol. 30;197(3):439-55, 2012.
- Lamb JS, Chadwick RS. Dual traveling waves in an inner ear model with two degrees of freedom. Physical Reviews Letters 107, 088101, 2011.
- Smith ST, Chadwick RS. Simulation of the response of the inner hair cell stereocilia bundle to an acoustical stimulus. PLoS One 6(3):e18161, 2011.
- Gavara N, Chadwick RS. Noncontact microrheology at acoustic frequencies using frequency-modulated atomic force microscopy. Nature Methods 7, 650-654, 2010.
- Gavara N, Chadwick RS. Collagen-based mechanical anisotropy of the tectorial membrane: Implications for inter-row coupling of outer hair cell bundles. PLoS One 4:e4887, 2009.
- Manoussaki D, Chadwick RS, Ketten DR, Arruda J, Dimitriadis EK, O’Malley JT. The influence of cochlear shape on low-frequency hearing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 105: 6162-6166, 2008.
- Chadwick RS, Liao Z. High frequency oscillations of a sphere in a viscous fluid near a rigid plane. SIAM Review 50, 313-322, 2008.
- Manoussaki D, Dimitriadis EK, Chadwick RS. Cochlea's graded curvature effect on low frequency waves. Physical Review Letters, 96: 088701, 2006.
- Cai H, Manoussaki D, Chadwick R. Effects of coiling on the micromechanics of the mammalian cochlea. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2, 341-348, 2005.
- Chadwick RS, Shoelson B, Cai H. Surface green's functions for an incompressible, transversely isotropic half space. SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 4, 1186-1197, 2004.
- Shoelson B, Dimitriadis EK, Cai H, Kachar B, Chadwick RS. Evidence and implications of inhomogeneity in tectorial membrane elasticity. Biophysical Journal 87(4):2768–77, 2004.
- Cai H, Shoelson B, Chadwick RS. Evidence of tectorial membrane radial motion in a propagating mode of a complex cochlear model. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 101(16):6243–8, 2004.
- Dimitriadis EK, Horkay F, Maresca J, Kachar B, Chadwick RS. Determination of elastic moduli of thin layers of soft material using the atomic force microscope. Biophysical Journal 82, 2798-2810, 2002.