You are here
Richard Chadwick, Ph.D.
Scientist Emeritus (Section on Auditory Mechanics)
Dr. Chadwick received B.S. and M.S. degrees from Cornell University. He received his Ph.D. from Stanford University in 1971, where he studied light scattering phenomena in blood. Dr. Chadwick joined the engineering faculty at the Technion Israel Institute of Technology in 1971, where he began his studies on cochlear mechanics. He moved to UCLA as an assistant professor in 1975, where he continued this work with Julian Cole. Dr. Chadwick joined the Bioengineering and Instrumentation Branch at NIH in 1980, where he began research in cardiovascular dynamics, and then moved to the NIDCD as a Senior Investigator in 1996. He is an elected fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering. Dr. Chadwick's laboratory studied cochlear and cellular mechanics.
Dr. Chadwick retired in April 2019.
Laboratory of Cellular Biology
Biomechanics of cochlear fine tuning
- Cartagena-Rivera AX, Le Gal S, Richards K, Verpy E, Chadwick RS. Cochlear outer hair cell horizontal top connectors mediate mature stereocilia bundle mechanics. Science Advances 20 Feb 2019: Vol. 5, no. 2, eaat9934 DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aat9934
- Logue JS, Cartagena-Rivera AX, Chadwick RS. c-Src activity is differentially required by cancer cell motility modes. Oncogene. 2018 Apr;37(16):2104-2121. Epub 2018 Jan 30.
- Van Itallie CM, Tietgens AJ, Aponte A, Gucek M, Cartagena-Rivera AX, Chadwick RS, Anderson JM. MARCKS-related protein regulates cytoskeletal organization at cell-cell and cell-substrate contacts in epithelial cells. J Cell Sci. 2018 Feb 2;131(3).
- Cartagena-Rivera AX, Van Itallie CM, Anderson JM, Chadwick RS. Apical surface supracellular mechanical properties in polarized epithelium using noninvasive acoustic force spectroscopy. Nat Commun. 2017 Oct 18;8(1):1030.
- Chadwick, RS. A dual probe and two tones reveal dual waves in the cochlea (commentary). Biophys J 110(11), 2528-39, 2016.
- Cartagena-Rivera AX, Logue JS, Waterman CM, Chadwick RS. Actomyosin cortical mechanical properties in nonadherent cells determined by atomic force microscopy. Biophys J. 2016 Jun 7;110(11):2528-2539.
- Gavara N, Chadwick RS. Relationship between cell stiffness and stress fiber amount, assessed by simultaneous atomic force microscopy and live-cell fluorescence imaging. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2016 Jun;15(3):511-23. Epub 2015 Jul 24.
- Logue JS, Cartagena-Rivera AX, Baird MA, Davidson MW, Chadwick RS, Waterman CM. Erk regulation of actin capping and bundling by Eps8 promotes cortex tension and leader bleb-based migration. eLife 4, e08314, 2015.
- Manoussaki D, Shin WD, Waterman CM, Chadwick RS. Cytosolic pressure provides a propulsive force comparable to actin polymerization during lamellipod protrusion. Sci. Rep. 5, 12314, 2015.
- Lamb JS, Chadwick RS. Phase of shear vibrations within cochlear partition leads to activation of the cochlear amplifier. PLoS One 14;9(2):e85969, 2014.
- Gavara N, Chadwick RS. Determination of the elastic moduli of thin samples and adherent cells using conical atomic force microscope tips. Nature Nanotechnology 7, 733-736, 2012.
- Petrie RJ, Gavara N, Chadwick RS, Yamada KM. Nonpolarized signaling reveals two distinct modes of 3D cell migration. J Cell Biol. 30;197(3):439-55, 2012.
- Lamb JS, Chadwick RS. Dual traveling waves in an inner ear model with two degrees of freedom. Physical Reviews Letters 107, 088101, 2011.
- Smith ST, Chadwick RS. Simulation of the response of the inner hair cell stereocilia bundle to an acoustical stimulus. PLoS One 6(3):e18161, 2011.