The NIDCD is the nation’s leading funder of biomedical and behavioral research and research training in hearing, balance, taste, smell, voice, speech, and language. The institute also supports research and research training related to disease prevention and health promotion; addresses biomedical and behavioral issues associated with deafness and other communication disorders; and supports work on devices that substitute for or improve function for individuals with deafness or other communication disorders. Through our extramural research program, approximately 81 percent of our research budget supports scientists and laboratories at universities, hospitals, and other organizations nationwide and around the world.
Featured NIDCD Funding Opportunities and Notices
- Understanding and Addressing the Impact of Structural Racism and Discrimination on Minority Health and Health Disparities (R01 - Clinical Trial Optional)
Encouraging NIDCD R01s that address the impact of SRD on minority health and health disparities as they relate to our mission areas.
- Stephen I. Katz Early Stage Investigator Research Project Grant (R01)
A recent R01 opportunity for beginning researchers embarking on a new line of research.
- Advancing HIV/AIDS Research within the Mission of the NIDCD (R01)
Encouraging more research focused on this topic.
- Low Risk Clinical Trials in Communication Disorders (R01 - Clinical Trial Required)
FOA for low risk clinical trials; includes research categorized as Basic Science Experimental Studies involving Humans (BESH).
- NIDCD Cooperative Agreement for Clinical Trials in Communication Disorders (U01 - Clinical Trial Required)
Note increased efforts to proactively recruit and enroll underrepresented minorities.
- NIDCD is Interested in Supporting Research on the Impact of COVID-19 on Mission Specific Sensory and Communication Disorders
Numerous funding mechanisms available.
- Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research
Support for assistant professors is particularly encouraged.
Descriptions of our scientific program areas, workshops, and grants management and administration.
Explanation of award mechanisms.
Application procedures, guidelines, frequently asked questions, policies, deadlines, and more.
Fellowship and mentorship opportunities.
All NIDCD Funding Opportunities
Search FOAs and Notices in the NIH Guide for Grants.