You are here
Lisa L. Cunningham, Ph.D.
Dr. Cunningham received a B.A. and M.A. in Audiology from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. She completed a Clinical Fellowship in Audiology at Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis. She received a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from the University of Virginia and then completed a post-doctoral fellowship in Auditory Neuroscience at the University of Washington in Seattle. After her post-doc, Dr. Cunningham joined the faculty at the Medical University of South Carolina where her lab conducted the initial studies on heat shock protein (HSP)-mediated protection against ototoxic drug-induced hearing loss and hair cell death. This work was funded by a Research Project Grant (R01) from the NIDCD. Dr. Cunningham moved to the NIDCD's Section on Sensory Cell Biology in 2011.
- Baker, TG; Roy, S; Brandon, CS; Kramarenko, IK; Francis, SP; Taleb, M; Marshall, KM; Schwendener, R; Lee, F-S; Cunningham, LL (2015): Heat shock protein-mediated protection against cisplatin-induced hair cell death. J. Assoc Res Otolaryngol 16:67-80.
- Chien, WW; Monzack, EL; McDougald, D; Cunningham, LL (2015): Gene therapy for sensorineural hearing loss. Ear and Hearing 36(1):1.
- Cunningham, LL and Tucci, DL (2015): Restoring synaptic connections in the inner ear after noise damage. New England Journal of Medicine 372(2):181. Invited review.
- Wang, T; Chai, R; Kim, GS; Pham, N; Jansson, L; Nguyen, D-H; Kuo, B; May, LA; Zuo, J; Cunningham, LL; Cheng, AG (2015): Damage-recruited Lgr5+ cells regenerate hair cells via proliferation and direct transdifferentiation in neonatal mouse utricle. Nature Communications.
- Chien, WW; McDougald, D; Roy, S; Fitzgerald, TS; Cunningham, LL (2015): Cochlear gene transfer mediated by adeno-associated virus: comparison of two surgical approaches. Laryngoscope.
- Monzack, EL; May, LA; Roy, S; Gale, JE; Cunningham, LL (2015): Live imaging the phagocytic activity of inner ear supporting cells in response to hair cell death. Cell Death and Differentiation doi: 10.1038/cdd.2015.48.
- Drummond, MC; Barzik, M; Bird, JE; Zhang, D-S; Lechene, CP; Corey, DP; Cunningham, LL; Friedman, TB (2015): Live-cell imaging of actin dynamics reveals mechanisms of stereocilia development and homeostasis in the inner ear. Nature Communications 6:6873.
- Monzack, EL and Cunningham, LL (2013): Lead roles for supporting actors: Critical roles for inner ear supporting cells. Hearing Research 303:20-9.
- Roy, S; Ryals, MM; Botty, A; Fitzgerald, TS; Cunningham, LL (2013): Sound preconditioning therapy in mice inhibits ototoxic hearing loss. J. Clinical Investigation 123(11):4945–4949.
- May, LM; Kramarenko, II; Brandon, CS; Voelkel-Johnson, C; Roy, S; Truong, K; Francis, SP; Monzack, EL; Lee, F-S; Cunningham, LL (2013): Inner ear supporting cells protect hair cells by secreting HSP70. J. Clinical Investigation 123(8):3577–3587.
- Brandon, CS; Voelkel-Johnson, C; May, LA; Cunningham, LL (2012): Dissection of adult mouse utricle and adenovirus-mediated supporting cell infection. Journal of Visualized Experiments. 61, doi:10.3791/3734. Published online 28 March 2012.
- Francis SP; Kramarenko II; Brandon CS; Lee FS; Baker TG; Cunningham LL (2011). Celastrol inhibits aminoglycoside-induced ototoxicity via heat shock protein 32. Cell Death & Disease 2, e195; doi:10.1038/cddis.2011.76. Published online 25 August 2011.
- Taleb, M; Brandon, CS; Lee, F-S; Harris, KC; Dillmann, WH; Cunningham, LL(2009): Hsp70 inhibits aminoglycoside-induced hearing loss and cochlear hair cell death Cell Stress Chaperones 14:427-437.