You are here
Katie Kindt, Ph.D.
Acting Chief, Section on Sensory Cell Development and Function
Dr. Kindt received a B.S. degree in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry from the University Wisconsin-Eau Claire, and a Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences from the University of California-San Diego, where she studied the function and development of mechanosensory circuits in Caenorhabditis elegans in the laboratory of William Schafer. During a postdoctoral fellowship with Teresa Nicolson at the Vollum institute she used a combination of scanning electron microscopy in vivo calcium imaging to investigate the role of the primary cilium in developing hair cells (Figure 1). Dr. Kindt joined the NIDCD as an investigator in 2013. Her laboratory uses molecular and microscopy-based methods to examine sensory cell function and development in the zebrafish model system.
Laboratory of Cellular Biology
Genetics and neuroimaging of hair cell development in zebrafish
- Sheets L, He X, Olt J, Trapani JG, Schreck M, Marcotti W, Nicolson T, and Kindt KS. Enlargement of ribbons in zebrafish hair cells disrupts presynaptic calcium channel clustering and exocytosis. J Neurosci. 2017, 2878-16.
- Jiang, T, Kindt KS*, Wu, D*. Transcription factor Emx2 controls stereociliary bundle orientation of sensory hair cells. Nathans J, ed. eLife. 2017; pii: e23661.
- Zhang QX, He XJ, Wong HC, Kindt KS. Functional calcium imaging in zebrafish lateral-line hair cells. Methods in Cell Biology. 2016 33: 229-252.
- Maeda R*, Kindt KS*, Mo W*, Erickson T, Thernau A, Barr-Gillespie P, Nicolson T. Tip-link protein protocadherin 15 interacts with transmembrane channel-like proteins TMC1 and TMC2. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 2014 111:12907-12912.
- Clemens-Grisham R, Kindt KS, Schmidt B, Nicolson T. Mutations in ap1b1 cause mistargeting of the Na+/K+-ATPase pump in sensory hair cells. PLoS One. 2013 8(4): e60866
- Sheets L, Kindt KS, Nicolson T. Presynaptic CaV1.3 channels regulate synaptic ribbon size and are required for synaptic maintenance in sensory hair cells. J Neurosci., 2012 32: 17273-17286.
- Kindt KS, Finch G, Nicolson T. Kinocilia mediate mechanosensitivity in developing zebrafish hair cells. Dev. Cell, 2012 23: 329-41.
- Kindt KS, Quast K, Giles A, Hendrey D, Nicastro I, Rankin C, Schafer W. Dopamine Mediates Context-Dependent Modulation of Sensory Plasticity in C elegans. Neuron, 2007 4: 662-76.
- Kindt KS*, Viswanath V*, Macpherson L, Quast K, Hu H, Patapoutian A, Schafer WR. Caenorhabditis elegans TRPA-1 functions in mechanosensation. Nat. Neurosci., 2007 10: 568-77.
- Kindt KS*, Tam T*, Whiteman S, Schafer WR. Serotonin promotes G(o)-dependent neuronal migration in Caenorhabditis elegans. Curr Biol., 2002. 12: 1738-47.
*Indicates equal contribution to the work in this publication.