You are here
Doris K. Wu, Ph.D.
Chief, Section on Sensory Cell Regeneration and Development
Chief, Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Dr. Wu received her bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point, her master’s degree from the Department of Physiology at the University of Southern California, and her Ph.D. from the Department of Anatomy (currently the Department of Neurobiology) at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA). She received her postdoctoral training from the Mental Retardation Center (now the Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Research Center) at UCLA and the Department of Genetics at Harvard Medical School. She joined the NIDCD in 1993 and has published many papers on the molecular mechanisms underlying inner ear development.
Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Molecular basis for the morphogenesis of the inner ear
- Ji, Y.R., Warrier, S., Jiang, T., Wu, D.K., Kindt, K.S. Directional selectivity of afferent neurons in zebrafish neuromasts is regulated by Emx2 in presynaptic hair cells. Elife. 2018 Apr 19;7. pii: e35796. doi: 10.7554/eLife.35796.
- Jiang, T., Kindt, K., Wu, D.K. Transcription factor Emx2 controls stereociliary bundle orientation of sensory hair cells. Nathans J, ed. eLife. 2017;6:e23661. doi:10.7554/eLife.23661.
- Raft, S., Andrade, L.R., Shao, D., Akiyama, H., Henkemeyer, M., Wu, D.K. Ephrin-B2 governs morphogenesis of endolymphatic sac and duct epithelia in the mouse inner ear. Dev Biol. 390:51–67, 2014.
- Evsen, L., Sugahara, S., Uchikawa, M., Kondoh H., Wu, D.K. Progression of neurogenesis in the inner ear requires inhibition of Sox2 transcription by neurogenin1 and neurod1. J Neurosci. 2013; vol33(9), pp 3879–90, 2013.
- Bok, J., Zenczak, C., Hwang, C.H., Wu, D. K. Auditory ganglion source of Sonic hedgehog regulates timing of cell cycle exit and differentiation of mammalian cochlear hair cells. PNAS, 2013, vol 110 no.34, pp.13869–13874.
- Bok, J., Raft, S., Kong, K., Koo, S.K., Dräger, U.C., Wu, D.K. Transient retinoic acid signaling confers anterior-posterior polarity to the inner ear. Proc Natl. Acad Sci. 108:161–166, 2011.
- Liang, J. K., Bok, J. and Wu, D. K. Distinct contributions from the hindbrain and mesenchyme to inner ear morphogenesis. Dev Bio. 337:324–34, 2010.
- Koo, S.K., Hill, J.K., Hwang C.H., Lin, Z.S., Millen, K.J., Wu, D.K. Lmx1a maintains proper neurogenic, sensory, and non-sensory domains in the mammalian inner ear. Dev Bio. 333:14–25, 2009.
- Chang, W., Lin, Z., Kulessa, H., Hebert, J., Hogan, B.L.M., and Wu, D. K. Bmp4 is essential for the formation of the vestibular apparatus that detects angular head movements. PLoS Genetics, 4:e1000050, 2008.
- Hwang, C. and Wu, D. K. Noggin heterozygous mice: an animal model for congenital conductive hearing loss in humans. Human Mol Genetics, 17:844–853, 2008.
- Bok, J., Dolson, D. K., Hill, P., Ruther, U., Epstein, D. J. and Wu, D. K. Opposing gradients of Gli repressor and activators mediate Shh signaling along the dorsoventral axis of the inner ear. Development, 134:1713–1722, 2007.
- Lin, Z., Cantos, R., Patente, M. and Wu, D. K. Gbx2 is required for the morphogenesis of the mouse inner ear: a downstream candidate of hindbrain signaling. Development, 132:2309–2318, 2005.
- Bok, J., Bronner-Fraser, M., and Wu, D. K. Role of the hindbrain in dorsoventral but not anteroposterior axial specification of the inner ear. Development,132:2115–2124, 2005.
- Chang, W., Brigande, J., Fekete, D. and Wu, D. K. The development of semicircular canals in the inner ear: role of FGFs in sensory cristae. Development, 131:4201–4211, 2004.
- Riccomagno, M., Martinu, L., Mulheisen, M., Wu, D. K., and Epstein, D. Specification of the mammalian cochlea is dependent on Sonic hedgehog. Genes & Dev, 16:2365–2378, 2002.
- Cantos, R., Cole, L., Acampora, D., Simeone, A. and Wu, D. K. Patterning of the mammalian cochlea. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 97:11707–11713, 2000.
- Morsli, H., Choo D., Ryan, A., Johnson, R. and Wu, D.K. Development of the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organs. J Neurosci, 18:3327–3335, 1998.
- Wu, D. K., Nunes, F. and Choo, D. Axial specification for sensory organs versus non-sensory structures of the chicken inner ear. Development, 125:11–20, 1998.