You are here
Carter Van Waes, M.D., Ph.D.
Clinical Director, NIDCD
Chief, Head and Neck Surgery Branch
Chief, Tumor Biology Section
Dr. Van Waes received a B.A. in Chemistry with honors from Earlham College in 1980. He received an M.D., and Ph.D. in Immunology of cancer with Honors from University of Chicago in 1987, supported by the NIH MSTP. He completed a NIH post-doctoral fellowship in molecular biology of head and neck cancer in 1990, and residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at University of Michigan in 1993. He joined NIDCD in 1993 as a Senior Staff Fellow; was promoted to Investigator in 1995, and Senior Investigator and Chief of the Head and Neck Surgery Branch in 2003. His research integrates basic and clinical investigation of genomics, signaling, molecular, and immune targeted therapy of cancer.
- Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Comprehensive genomic characterization of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Nature. 2015 Jan 29;517(7536):576-82. doi: 10.1038/nature14129.
- Hoadley KA, Yau C, Wolf DM, Cherniack AD, Tamborero D, Ng S, Leiserson MD, Niu B, McLellan MD, Uzunangelov V, Zhang J, Kandoth C, Akbani R, Shen H, Omberg L, Chu A, Margolin AA, Van't Veer LJ, Lopez-Bigas N, Laird PW, Raphael BJ, Ding L, Robertson AG, Byers LA, Mills GB, Weinstein JN, Van Waes C, Chen Z, Collisson EA; Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network, Benz CC, Perou CM, Stuart JM. Multiplatform analysis of 12 cancer types reveals molecular classification within and across tissues of origin. Cell. 2014 Aug 14;158(4):929-44. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2014.06.049.
- Parfenov M, Pedamallu CS, Gehlenborg N, Freeman SS, Danilova L, Bristow CA, Lee S, Hadjipanayis AG, Ivanova EV, Wilkerson MD, Protopopov A, Yang L, Seth S, Song X, Tang J, Ren X, Zhang J, Pantazi A, Santoso N, Xu AW, Mahadeshwar H, Wheeler DA, Haddad RI, Jung J, Ojesina AI, Issaeva N, Yarbrough WG, Hayes DN, Grandis JR, El-Naggar AK, Meyerson M, Park PJ, Chin L, Seidman JG, Hammerman PS, Kucherlapati R; Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Characterization of HPV and host genome interactions in primary head and neck cancers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Oct 28;111(43):15544-9. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1416074111. Epub 2014 Oct 13.
- Hayes DN, Van Waes C, Seiwert TY. Genetic Landscape of Human Papillomavirus-Associated Head and Neck Cancer and Comparison to Tobacco-Related Tumors. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Oct 10;33(29):3227-34. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2015.62.1086. Epub 2015 Sep 8.
- Conti MA, Saleh AD, Brinster LR, Cheng H, Chen Z, Cornelius S, Liu C, Ma X, Van Waes C, Adelstein RS. Conditional deletion of nonmuscle myosin II-A in mouse tongue epithelium results in squamous cell carcinoma. Sci Rep. 2015 Sep 15;5:14068. doi: 10.1038/srep14068.
- Mohan S, Vander Broek R, Shah S, Eytan DF, Pierce ML, Carlson SG, Coupar JF, Zhang J, Cheng H, Chen Z, Van Waes C. MEK Inhibitor PD-0325901 Overcomes Resistance to PI3K/mTOR Inhibitor PF-5212384 and Potentiates Antitumor Effects in Human Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2015 Sep 1;21(17):3946-56. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-14-3377. Epub 2015 May 14.
- Leiker AJ, DeGraff W, Choudhuri R, Sowers AL, Thetford A, Cook JA, Van Waes C, Mitchell JB. Radiation Enhancement of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma by the Dual PI3K/mTOR Inhibitor PF-05212384. Clin Cancer Res. 2015 Jun 15;21(12):2792-801. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-14-3279. Epub 2015 Feb 27.
- Cash H, Shah S, Moore E, Caruso A, Uppaluri R, Van Waes C, Allen C. mTOR and MEK1/2 inhibition differentially modulate tumor growth and the immune microenvironment in syngeneic models of oral cavity cancer. Oncotarget. 2015 Nov 3;6(34):36400-17. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.5063.
- Eytan DF, Snow GE, Carlson SG, Schiltz S, Chen Z, Van Waes C. Combination effects of SMAC mimetic birinapant with TNFα, TRAIL, and docetaxel in preclinical models of HNSCC. Laryngoscope. 2015 Mar;125(3):E118-24. doi: 10.1002/lary.25056. Epub 2014 Nov 28.