You are here
Wade Chien, M.D., FACS
Dr. Chien received a B.A. in biology and music from Brandeis University and an M.D. from the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine. He completed his otolaryngology residency training at the Harvard combined otolaryngology training program, and a neurotology fellowship at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is an alumnus of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute-National Institutes of Health Research Scholars Program, during which he worked with Dr. Gerald Fischbach to study the effects of neurotrophins in the neuromuscular junction. He is also a recipient of a T32 training grant in residency, during which he studied middle ear mechanics under the guidance of Dr. Saumil Merchant and Dr. John Rosowski.
Dr. Chien is an associate professor in the department of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and has an active clinical practice in Bethesda, Maryland. He joined the NIDCD as an investigator in the Otolaryngology Surgeon-Scientist Program in 2011.
Otolaryngology Surgeon-Scientist Program
- Isgrig K, McDougald DS, Zhu J, Wang HJ, Bennett J, Chien, WW. AAV2.7m8 is a powerful viral vector for inner ear gene therapy. Nature Communications. 2019; volume 10, article number 427.
- Chien WW, Isgrig K, Roy S, Belyantseva IA, Drummond MC, May LA, Fitzgerald TS, Friedman TB, Cunningham LL. Gene therapy restores hair cell stereocilia morphology in inner ears of deaf whirler mice. Mol Ther. 2015 Aug 26.
- Zalewski CK*, Chien WW*, King KA, Muskett JA, Baron R, Butman JA, Griffith AJ, Brewer CC, Vestibular dysfunction in patients with enlarged vestibular aqueduct. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Aug;153(2):257-62. *co-first authors
- Chien WW, McDougald DS, Roy S, Fitzgerald TS, Cunningham LL. Cochlear gene transfer mediated by adeno-associated virus: comparison of two surgical approaches. Laryngoscope. 2015 Apr 17. doi: 10.1002/lary.25317. [Epub ahead of print] (Triologic thesis with distinction)
- Chien WW, McDougald DS, Monzack EL, Cunningham LL. Gene therapy for sensorineural hearing loss. Ear Hear. 2015 Jan;36(1):1–7.
- Weinreich H, Francis HW, Niparko JK, Chien WW. Techniques in cochlear implantation. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery2014 25(4): 312–320.
- Sun DQ, Zhou L, Lin FR, Francis HW, Carey JP, Chien WW. Racial differences in cochlear pigmentation are associated with hearing loss. Otol Neurotol. 2014 Oct;35(9):1509–14.
- Chien WW, Leiding JW, Hsu AP, Zalewski C, King K, Holland SM, Brewer C. Auditory and vestibular phenotypes associated with GATA3 mutation. Otol Neurotol. 2014 Apr;35(4):577–81.
- Chien WW, Janky K, Minor LB, Carey JP. Superior canal dehiscence size: multivariate assessment of clinical impact. Otol Neurotol. 2012 Jul;33(5):810–5.
- Chien W, Lin FR. Prevalence of hearing aid use among older adults in the United States. Arch Intern Med. 2012 Feb 13;172(3):292–3.