You are here
Howard Hoffman, M.A.
Director, Epidemiology and Statistics Program
Howard J. Hoffman is the director of the NIDCD Epidemiology and Statistics Program. This research program focuses on prevalence, incidence, risk factors, and preventive interventions for disorders of hearing, balance, taste, smell, voice, speech, and language. Hoffman is the NIDCD project officer for the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) hearing, balance, and chemosensory examination components and other NIDCD epidemiologic studies in the U.S. and abroad, including the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) 2002, 2007, 2014, and 2016 Communication Disorders Supplements. He is NIDCD co-lead for the Healthy People 2020 focus area on Hearing and Other Sensory or Communication Disorders.
Epidemiology and Statistics
- Hoffman HJ, Dobie RA, Losonczy KG, Themann CL, Flamme GA. Kids nowadays hear better than we did: Declining prevalence of hearing loss in US Youth, 1966–2010. Laryngoscope. 2018 Oct 5. doi: 10.1002/lary.27419. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hoffman HJ. Childhood hearing loss and established risk factors: What is the contribution of tobacco exposure prenatally or after birth? Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2018 Sep; 32(5): 439–441.
- Li CM, Zhao G, Hoffman HJ, Town M, Themann CL. Hearing disability prevalence and risk factors in two recent national surveys. Am J Prev Med. 2018 Sep; 55(3): 326–335.
- Sininger YS, Condon CG, Hoffman HJ, Elliott AJ, Odendaal HL, Burd LL, Myers MM, Fifer WP; PASS Network. Transient otoacoustic emissions and auditory brainstem responses in low-risk cohort of newborn and one-month-old infants: Assessment of infant auditory system physiology in the Prenatal Alcohol in SIDS and Stillbirth Network Safe Passage Study. J Am Acad Audiol. 2018 Sep; 29(8): 748–763.
- Black LI, Zammitti EP, Hoffman HJ, Li CM. Parental report of significant head injuries in children aged 3-17 years: United States, 2016. NCHS Data Brief. 2018 Feb; No. 302, pp 1–8.
- Hoffman HJ, Dobie RA, Losonczy KG, Themann CL, Flamme GA. Declining prevalence of hearing loss in US adults aged 20 to 69 years. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Mar 16; 143(3): 274-285.
- Carroll YI, Eichwald J, Scinicariello F, Hoffman HJ, Deitchman S, Radke MS, Themann CL, Breysse P. Vital Signs: Noise-induced hearing loss among adults - United States 2011–2012. Mortal Morbid Weekly Rep. 2017 Feb 10; 66(5): 139-144.
- Simon AE, Boss EF, Zelaya CE, Hoffman HJ. Racial and ethnic differences in receipt of pressure equalization tubes among US children, 2014. Acad Pediatr. 2017 Jan-Feb; 17(1): 88-94.
- Redmond SM, Yao TJ, Russell JS, Rice ML, Hoffman HJ, Siberry GK, Frederick T, Purswami M, Williams PL; Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study. Longitudinal evaluation of language impairment in youth with perinatally acquired human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and youth with perinatal HIV exposure. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2016 Dec; 5(suppl 1): S33-S40.
- Bainbridge KE, Roy N, Losonczy KG, Hoffman HJ, Cohen SM. Voice disorders and associated risk markers among young adults in the United States. Laryngoscope. 2016 Dec 23; E1-E7.
- Lie A, Engdahl B, Hoffman HJ, Li C-M, Tambs K. Occupational noise exposure, hearing loss, and notched audiograms in the HUNT Nord-Trøndelag hearing loss study, 1996–1998. Laryngoscope. 2016 Oct 3; E1-E9.
- Hoffman HJ, Rawal S, Li CM, Duffy VB. New chemosensory component in the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): first-year results for measured olfactory dysfunction. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2016 Jun; 17(2): 221-240.