Healthy People provides science-based, 10-year national objectives for promoting health and preventing disease in all Americans. Since 1979, Healthy People has set and monitored national health objectives to meet a broad range of health needs, encourage collaborations across sectors, guide individuals toward making informed health decisions, and measure the impact of federal prevention activities.
Healthy People 2020 is continuing in this tradition and currently assessing the objectives of Healthy People 2010, measuring the impact of its prevention activity, and developing new 10-year targets.
The mission of Healthy People 2020 is to strive to:
- Identify nationwide health improvement priorities.
- Increase public awareness and understanding of the determinants of health, disease, and disability and the opportunities for progress.
- Provide measurable objectives and goals that are applicable at the national, state, and local levels.
- Engage multiple sectors to take actions to strengthen policies and improve practices that are driven by the best available evidence and knowledge.
- Identify critical research, evaluation, and data collection needs.
Healthy People 2020 objectives cover the following NIDCD subject areas:
- Newborn hearing screening
- Ear infections
- Balance and dizziness
- Smell and taste
- Voice, speech, and language
- Internet health care resources in these topic areas
To read the objectives and evidence-based recommendations, see
Healthy People Archive